MOST READ Palace: Crisis over ABC-CBN franchise unlikely Felda is in last place in the group with two points, but a win could also boost its chances of nailing one of the two spots to the knockout round.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Dozens wounded as Iraqi protesters up pressure on government SHAH ALAM, Selangor —Filipino club Ceres-Negros FC tries to inch closer to the knockout stage of the AFC Cup when it clashes with Malaysian side Felda United on Tuesday at the 80,000-seater Shah Alam Stadium here.With five points from their first three matches, the Busmen hope to keep their lead in Group F, where they are barely ahead of Hanoi FC on goal difference heading into Match Day 4.ADVERTISEMENT Canadian military mobilized to help Newfoundland dig out On the edge of America, census begins in a tiny Alaska town The Busmen are unbeaten in away matches since reaching the group stage of the second-tier club competition last year.But with Felda proving to be tough nut to crack for the Busmen in Bacolod City two weeks ago, Ceres coach Risto Vidakovic expects another difficult match. Ceres needed a big penalty save from Roland Muller in the second half to preserve a 0-0 standoff with Felda at Panaad Stadium.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSBreak new groundSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnCeres will miss top midfielder Manny Ott due to suspension for accumulated yellow cards. Martin Steuble is expected to return to the starting lineup in his place.“If the style for both teams didn’t change, I think it will be a very hard game for both teams,” said Vidakovic. “Everyone is a champion or second place in the group [in their own countries], so it’s very very hard. Every game you have to fight for the points.” LATEST STORIES Panelo: Duterte only wants to emulate strong political will of Marcos Marcos monument beside Aquino’s stirs Tarlac town Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Unilab 21K lures thousands in BGC SpaceX launches, destroys rocket in astronaut escape test View comments
LONDON (CMC): West Indies fast bowler Jerome Taylor will make his debut for Somerset on Friday against Surrey, after signing up for the last nine group-stage matches of the county’s T20 Blast campaign. The 34-year-old will also be available for the knockout stages of the championship, carded for late August, once Somerset qualify. SOUTH GROUP Somerset currently lie third in the South Group on six points after winning three of their first five matches. “I’m really excited to be joining Somerset for the Vitality Blast,” said Jamaican Taylor. “It’s a real honour to join such a prestigious club and I hope that I can help bring my experience to what looks like a really exciting group of young players.” Taylor made his name in Tests, taking 130 wickets from 46 Tests as a spearhead for the Caribbean side, but has since focused his attention to the shorter formats. He has picked up 33 wickets from 30 T20 Internationals and 104 scalps from 89 T20s overall, and represented the Windies as recently as the tour of New Zealand last December. Director of cricket Andy Hurry said Taylor’s acquisition had been a major boost for the club. “We are delighted to have secured such a high-quality player for the business end of the Vitality Blast,” Hurry said. “He brings with him a wealth of International T20 experience and is a player who can really impact games with the ball, both with the new ball and especially at the end of an innings.”
LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. UST officially clinched a spot in the semifinals when National University stunned University of the Philippines in the first of the two Sunday games 25-21, 26-24, 17-25, 23-25, 17-15.The Lady Maroons crashed out of the Final Four race after dropping to a 6-7 card while UST got to third seed at 9-4 while FEU is at fourth at 8-5.Laure, who had 17 points against the Lady Tamaraws, said it’s not just Rondina whom she and the other players are dedicating their games for.There’s also graduating libero Rica Rivera, injured sophomore and Season 80 Rookie of the Year Milena Allesandrini, and even Laure’s older sister EJ who sat out Season 81.“This is for the UST community, for Ate Sisi, Ate Rica, Ate Milena, Ate EJ, everyone who’s not with the team right now and who will graduate after the season,” said Laure.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Comelec assures no disruption in operations with retirement of execs Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Duterte says he will appoint Gamboa as next PNP chief Sarah Geronimo’s ‘Tala’ enters Billboard’s world digital song sales chart Tim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’ Laure added that they should not settle even if they’ve reached the Final Four and they will prepare harder ahead of the semifinals where one slip and everything will be wasted.“Of course the Final Four is a whole different playing field, so we won’t settle just because we qualified,” said Laure. “We’ll do our best to build our character so that we won’t be overwhelmed with the atmosphere.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next James Harden scores 29 as Rockets rout Jazz in Game 1 MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award ‘Duterte legacy:’ Gov’t boasts achievements so far P260,000 each in aid to displaced Marawi folk released by US Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines—Eya Laure entered the collegiate program of University of Santo Tomas with a lot of hype.She was a one-time high school MVP, a Rookie of the Year, a Best Attacker, a Best Setter, and a two-time Best Opposite Hitter, needless to say Laure had the chops.ADVERTISEMENT Laure, however, moved up to the seniors’ team not as the main star but with a promise to help Cherry Rondina reach the pinnacle of the UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball tournament.The rookie promised Rondina that she would help lead the team to the Final Four, and possibly the championship, playing as the second fiddle to the fifth-year superstar.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsAnd Laure stayed true to her word after the Golden Tigresses clinched a Final Four spot Sunday at Mall of Asia Arena.“I’m happy because I kept my promise to Ate Sisi,” said Laure in Filipino after UST thrashed Far Eastern University, 25-23, 25-18, 25-23. “We’re taking this step by step. We’re aiming for the Final Four and we’re not in a rush.”
A man of Lethem, Region Nine (Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo) was on Tuesday charged with breaking and entering when he appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Frankie Slow, 33, of 902 Beverley Hills, Lethem, was made to answer to the charge before the Chief Magistrate, Ann McLennan.It was alleged that between October 13 and 14, 2016 at Beverley Hills Drive in Lethem, he broke and entered the dwelling of Michelle Kenya and stole several items worth 5,000.According to the prosecution, the Virtual Complainant (VC) secured her premises the evening before and the following morning, she noticed it was broken into. Upon checking, she discovered that several household appliances were missing.As a result, she made a report to the police station. Police Officers subsequently searched the defendant’s home – as he has a well-known reputation of being a thief – where the stolen items were recovered.The defendant contended that he went to Lethem to live with his mother, but he was put out of her home by her boyfriend and was homeless.He told Magistrate McLennan that the items were not found in his home as he did not have one. He confessed, however, that he did steal and hid the items.Slow told the Magistrate that he did not intend to steal any longer as he has learnt his lesson.He was sentenced to six months in prison.
“Inter Milan announces that Frank de Boer has been relieved of his duties as first-team coach,” a club statement said on Tuesday.“The first-team squad will be taken over provisionally by our youth team coach, Stefano Vecchi, who will be on the bench for the Europa League game against Southampton.“The club would like to thank Frank and his staff for their contribution and wish them all the best for the future.”Inter’s new Chinese owners Suning appointed de Boer, 46, as a replacement for Roberto Mancini two weeks before the start of the Serie A season.After investing heavily in players over the summer, Inter — Italy’s last Champions League winners, in 2010 — were expected to challenge five-time consecutive champions Juventus for the Serie A title, as well as signal their return to Europe by challenging for the Europa League.Sacked Inter Milan coach Frank De Boer’s time in charge was marked by a controversy surrounding club captain Mauro Icardi, which some reports claimed had a direct effect on Inter’s performances © AFP/File / Giuseppe CacaceBut with only four league wins in 11 games Inter are well off the pace. They slipped to below mid-table at 13 points behind leaders Juventus following the 1-0 defeat at Sampdoria. In Europe, de Boer’s men have been a disaster. They sit bottom of Group K behind leaders Sparta Prague and Israeli side Hapoel Be’er Sheva, who stunned Inter 2-0 at the San Siro. Inter beat Southampton 1-0 last week and will visit the English Premier League side for the return leg on Thursday, when Vecchi will be in charge.Although Vecchi will take over on a caretaker basis, former Lazio coach Stefano Pioli is being tipped to replace de Boer permanently. – ‘Needed more time’ –De Boer was summoned by club bosses two weeks ago and earned a stay of execution on the condition that Inter beat Southampton to relaunch their campaign in Europe.But defeat away to Sampdoria was the final straw.Dutchman Frank de Boer took over as coach of Inter Milan in August © AFP/File / Giuseppe Cacace“Too bad it ended like this,” the sacked de Boer said in a message on his Twitter account, which he shares with his twin brother Ronald.“This project needed more time to be carried out. I want to thank all the fans for all the support you’ve given me over these months.– “Forza Inter” –De Boer’s time in charge was also marked by a controversy surrounding club captain Mauro Icardi, which some reports claimed had a direct effect on Inter’s performances.A group of hardline “ultra” fans demanded last month that Icardi, 23, be stripped of the captaincy over claims he made in a recently published autobiography.The angry fans claimed Icardi had lied about the content of an altercation with them following defeat to Sassuolo in 2014, which he included in his book.Inter Milan sided with the ultras and ordered Icardi to scrap the book and reprint an amended version.Inter host basement side Crotone on Sunday.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Inter Milan’s new Chinese owners Suning appointed Frank de Boer as a replacement for Roberto Mancini two weeks before the start of the Serie A season © AFP/File / Marco BertorelloMilan, Italy, Nov 1 – Frank de Boer has been sacked as coach of Inter Milan after just 11 Serie A games for failing to ignite the Italian giants at home and in Europe.Sunday’s loss at similarly struggling Sampdoria was Inter’s fifth league defeat since the start of the season and prompted a fan backlash on social media calling for the Dutchman’s removal.
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has hailed hat-trick hero Diego Costa after they beat Swansea City 4-2 at Stamford Bridge.It had looked like being a tough afternoon for the Blues when the visiting Jacks took the lead through a John Terry own goal.But after some tinkering by the Portuguese manager, the Spanish striker hit three goals, which takes his tally after four games to seven.And Mourinho believes he has been aided by the fact his team-mates have also hit the ground running this season.He said: “Credit to Diego Costa, it’s not easy to come from abroad and a different culture. To come here and score seven goals in four matches is brilliant.“If the team is playing well it’s easier for players to adapt. Even Loic Remy, after two or three days of training, looked comfortable and scored a goal.”Mourinho, though, has warned that to compare Costa and compatriot Fernando Torres, who has joined AC Milan on a two-year loan deal, would be unfair.Torres only managed 20 Premier League goals in 110 games for Chelsea and Costa now seems set to eclipse that number in just a few outings, but the Portuguese has stood up for the man on loan in Serie A.“It’s not nice to compare,” he added. “They are completely different players but Diego Costa is getting what Fernando Torres couldn’t, which is fantastic confidence.“Fernando is a fantastic guy, a fantastic player and has a CV Diego doesn’t have so we have to respect Fernando.”
1 Mesut Ozil’s best position is central, not wide left Mesut Ozil is a class player, but he is trying the patience of some Gooners, as Young Guns blogger and Arsenal fan Jamie Sanderson explains…Arsene Wenger says he didn’t re-sign Cesc Fabregas in the summer because he has Mesut Ozil. Sunday’s clash with Chelsea was the perfect example of how wrong that decision was.I’m a huge fan of Ozil and thought he was a top buy, but he HAS to do more. He’s a passenger we can’t afford to carry and this is already a make or break season for him.Ozil has been moved to the left at times this season and he’s not happy about it. Play anywhere for the team? Not Mesut, but that’s fine. He’s a quality no.10 and he wants to play as a no.10. No problem. It’s who he is.The ball is in Wenger’s court to make Ozil a success. Like it or not, this guy isn’t going to try on the left and you’re not going to change him – so we need to listen or get rid. Patience is wearing thin.I suggest we move Ozil to his favoured role straight after the international break and keep him there. If Wenger doesn’t believe in the German as a playmaker then sell him. Let him go and let’s get a proper left sider.But I think Ozil will flourish behind the striker and already links up well with Danny Welbeck. Play to our strengths.Play Ozil as a no.10 or let him go. We need to do one or the other – and fast.Agree or disagree with Jamie? Comment below…
1 Listen to the action from Elland Road – LIVE on talkSPORT Leeds United will be hoping to end a run of three back-to-back Championship defeats when they meet an in-form Middlesbrough side at Elland Road – LIVE on talkSPORT.CLICK HERE TO STREAM LEEDS UNITED V MIDDLESBROUGH LIVE COMMENTARY ON TALKSPORT, KICK-OFF 13:15BSTBoth sides are heading in markedly different directions, with Garry Monk meeting his former employers off the back of three straight Boro victories.Thomas Christiansen’s side can go level on points with their opponents despite such a terrible few weeks, as the two teams bid to strengthen their play-off credentials. The Whites had reached the summit of the Championship after a fantastic start to the season and they will be hoping to rekindle that form this afternoon. Take a look at the confirmed line-ups below:Leeds United XI: Lonergan, Ayling, Cooper, Jansson, Berardi, Vieira, Phillips, Saiz, Hernandez, Alioski, RoofeSubstitutes: Wiedwalk, Pennington, Anita, O’Kane, Sacko, Ekuban, GrotMiddlesbrough XI: Randolph, Roberts, Ayala, Gibson, Friend, Leadbitter, Howson, Downing, Tavernier, Braithwaite, AssombalongaSubstitutes: Dimi, Fabio, Fry, Forshaw, Johnson, Traore, Fletcher
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in January Borussia Dortmund’s coaching staff have been baffled by Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s recent behaviour, amid links with a move to Arsenal.The striker was dropped for last weekend’s Bundesliga clash with Wolfsburg for skipping a key team meeting.It was the second time this season he has been banned by his club for “disciplinary reasons”.The 28-year-old is a reported target for Arsenal as a potential replacement for Alexis Sanchez, who is expected to depart the Emirates Stadium this month.Aubameyang is one of the most coveted strikers in Europe having scored 31 Bundesliga goals last season and boasting 13 in 15 games so far this term.But his good form has been marred by his bad behaviour off the pitch, and Dortmund coach Peter Stoger has admitted he and other club bosses cannot understand his change in attitude.“Disappointment is the wrong expression,” Stoger said in an interview with Sport Bild.“Rather a lack of understanding as I cannot really comprehend his conduct. And I am certainly not the only one.”Aubameyang is reportedly desperate for a move to Arsenal, whose new head of recruitment Sven Mislintat knows the player from his time at Dortmund.But Stoger, who said he banned Aubameyang because, in his view, fines have no effect, says the striker is far from certain to leave.Asked if he thought Aubameyang would stay at Dortmund this winter, he said: “I assume so.” 1
EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE – Jeffrey E. Bauer, an aerospace engineer and project manager at NASA’s Dryden Flight Research Center, was honored recently by Unmanned Vehicle Systems International with its 2006 Catherine Fargeon Award. The award was for his work on the Access 5 project, a NASA-led consortium of government agencies and private firms that facilitated the development of certification criteria for unmanned aircraft and procedures to allow them to operate safely in the same skies as piloted aircraft. The award honored Bauer for “personal commitment and contribution to promoting the insertion of unmanned aircraft systems into non-segregated airspace.” Bauer is currently a manager in Dryden’s business development office. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!