Colombia not after Brazil revenge- James

first_img0Shares0000James Rodriguez (second left) bursts through two Uruguay players to score the goal of the World Cup 2014 in Brazil. PHOTO/FileSANTIAGO, June 16- James Rodriguez insists Colombia are not thinking about revenge as they prepare to tackle Brazil at the Copa America on Wednesday in a replay of last year’s bruising World Cup quarter-final battle.The Real Madrid playmaker was subjected to a series of brutal tackles by the Brazilians last year, when the Colombians were beaten 2-1 in a physical contest scarred by a whopping 54 fouls. Brazil’s leading part in creating a rough-house climate on the pitch ultimately cost the World Cup hosts dearly, with playmaker Neymar suffering a tournament-ending injury after a rugged challenge from Juan Camilo Zuniga.Fast-forward a year, and the two sides will meet once more on Wednesday in Santiago in a Group C game that Colombia cannot afford to lose following their shock 1-0 defeat to Venezuela on Sunday.“The loss to Venezuela brought us down to earth a bit,” Rodriguez told journalists. “Now we know that only a win will do against Brazil.”“We tried to play against Venezuela the way we played in the World Cup last year. It didn’t work. It was a bad, bad, afternoon. But the most important thing now is to think about Brazil.“In football today, you can win, but you can also have these things happen, like our loss to Venezuela. But at hard times like this, you see the truly great teams.”Rodriguez is adamant that there will be no repeat of the World Cup foul-fest on Wednesday, saying Colombia had no axe to grind.“It’s not about revenge,” Rodriguez said. “This is going to be a more open game because of Brazil’s style of play, but they also have to be in very good form to beat us.“I know they’re always going to be right there marking me and the only thing I have to do is be patient and play my football, look for spaces to create play without getting desperate.”Rodriguez meanwhile enthused about the form of Brazil captain Neymar, who single-handedly inspired his team to a shaky 2-1 victory over Peru in their opening game, scoring once and creating another.“He’s playing at an incredible level,” Rodriguez said of the Barcelona star.Brazil head into Wednesday’s game anxious to prove they are more than just a one-man band.One Brazilian newspaper summed up the Selecao’s performance on Sunday as “Neymar and 10 others”, reflecting concern over an uninspired victory that was only sealed with a last-gasp winner from Douglas Costa.While coach Dunga hailed the matchwinning contribution of Neymar, he also insisted Brazil’s win over Peru was a collective effort.“Neymar was decisive, but other players were decisive as well – including Dani Alves, Miranda, Douglas Costa,” Dunga said. “There were contributions from the whole team.”Brazil’s win over Peru was their 11th consecutive victory since the 2014 World Cup, when they were humiliated 7-1 by Germany in the semi-finals before losing the third-place play-off to the Netherlands 3-0.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Call for dog-food case inquiry was rejected

first_imgThe supervisor at the Westchester fire station where a black firefighter was fed spaghetti spiked with dog food called the 2004 incident “heinous” and recommended an immediate and comprehensive investigation but top officials chose not to pursue one. A full inquiry would send a “clear message” about the Los Angeles Fire Department’s view of such incidents and would “head off any adverse public reaction or legal action,” Battalion Chief Steven J. Coleman wrote, according to confidential department records. Coleman got written statements from the firefighters who were present at the dinner but wrote at one point that his investigation had hit a wall. However, top officials decided against his recommendation and that of his supervisor to conduct what is known as an advocate investigation that could have included questioning of firefighters by specially trained officers. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’Deputy Chief Andrew Fox, who supervises departmental discipline, concluded that the incident was a practical joke intended to humble Tennie Pierce, a 6-foot-5 firefighter who called himself “Big Dog.” Fox recommended suspending two captains and a firefighter, writing that the captains “attempted to conceal the act” by not reporting it to Coleman. Suspension ranging from six to 30 days were later approved by the chief. Pierce, 51, is suing the city, contending that the October 2004 incident involving about 10 firefighters – including the white captains and a Hispanic firefighter – was racial harassment. The Latino firefighter, who prepared Pierce’s plate, has said through his attorney that the action was not racially motivated. Last month, the City Council approved a $2.7 million settlement of the lawsuit but it was vetoed by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa after photographs surfaced showing Pierce engaged in crude firehouse hazing – smearing mustard and dumping water on restrained colleagues.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Man who pleaded guilty in brutal Marlene Bird attack wants to change

first_img(Leslie Black wants to change his guilty plea. Facebook photo)APTN National NewsThe man who pleaded guilty to brutalizing Marlene Bird now wants to change his plea, according to a report.Prince Albert, Sask., news agency paNow is reporting that Leslie Black will be getting an expungement hearing in March 2016.Black, 29, originally pleaded guilty to attempted murder and sexual assault charge in April.Bird, 48, was cut and burned in the attack which occurred in a Prince Albert parking lot in June 2014. The attack left Bird with such severe injuries that doctors were forced to amputate her legs.The brutality of the attack drew national media coverage.He has reportedly recanted parts of his agreed statement of facts.Black’s lawyer Brent Little did not return calls from APTN requesting comment.Solomon Black, Leslie Black’s father, told paNOw that his son was put into foster care in Alberta after he witnessed the murder of his mother.“He saw, right from the start to the end, when his mother got brutally murdered in front of him,” Solomon Black told paNow. “I think that has had a lot to do with his mind and stuff like that.”news@aptn.ca@APTNNewslast_img read more